Saturday 5 January 2013

Top 10 Anticipated Films of 2013

Disappointingly I only watched about a dozen 2012 film releases so I decided against writing a '2012 top ten list' (incidentally Moonrise Kingdom would have topped my list). Instead I've decided to look forwards not backwards and as I try to be more active in seeing new releases I've listed the top ten films I'm looking forward to seeing in 2013. Enjoy. 

Honourable mentions:
Flight (Feb 1st), Cloud Atlas (Feb 22nd UK), Iron Man 3 (May 3rd), Pacific Rim (July 12), 300: Rise of an Empire (Aug 2nd) and Sin City: A Dame to Kill for (Oct 4th). 

10. The Wolverine (July 25th)
Written in part by Christopher McQuarrie (Usual Suspects, MI: Ghost Protocol) and directed by James Mangold (3:10 to Yuma), the sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine will be set in Japan and from the scarce plot details it sounds very martial arts/samurai themed which sounds pretty cool. 

9. Only God Forgives (May)

This film has only just arrived on my radar when reading some other 'Most Anticipated' lists. It makes it onto the list purely based on the fact that it reunites Drive director/actor team Nicolas Winding Refn and Ryan Gosling. Based in Bangkok , it's described as a crime thriller.

8. Man of Steel (June 14th)

With Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) on director duties, Henry Cavill as Superman, Michael Shannon (Boardwalk Empire's Agent van Alden) as the villain and Dark Knight trilogy writer David S. Goyer onboard this reboot should be better than the 2006 Superman Returns.

7. Oblivion (April 12th)

I came across this in the February issue of Empire. After enjoying MI: Ghost Protocol Tom Cruise is back in my good books and also starring Olga Kurylenko and Morgan Freeman, Oblivion's apocalyptic sci-fi plot sounds a little Fifth Element, Blade Runner and Wall-E rolled into one and has got my attention.


6. Oz: The Great and Powerful (March 8th)

Sam Raimi (Spiderman trilogy) directs what looks like a really interesting origin story to the Wizard of Oz tale and if the trailer is anything to go by the film looks pretty stunning. James Franco leads a good cast including Mila Kunis as the Wicked Witch of the West.


5. The Place Beyond the Pines (April 12th)

I recently saw the trailer for The Place Beyond the Pines starring Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, Rose Byrne and Eva Mendes. It looks like a gritty crime thriller similar to those of Ben Affleck (Gone Baby Gone, The Town) where new fathers Gosling and Cooper go head to head to provide for and protect their children.


4. Star Trek Into Darkness (May 17th)
I enjoyed J.J.Abrams' 2009 reboot of the Star Trek franchise and the full cast returns this time around with what sounds like a stronger antagonist in former Starfleet Commander John Harrison (Benedict Cumberbatch).

3. Gangster Squad (Jan 11th)

LA-noir cool meets The Untouchables with a great cast as Josh Brolin, Ryan Gosling, Nick Nolte, Robert Patrick and Giovanni Ribisi to name a few, go up against Sean Penn as a menacing Micky Cohen. Not long to wait for this one. 


2. Elysium (Aug 9th)
I for one am really intrigued to see how director Neill Blomkamp's follows on from District 9 with another sci-fi film, this time with a massive budget. Sharlto Copley (Wikus from District 9) works with Blomkamp again supporting Matt Damon and Jodie Foster in 2159 where the human population is split between a luxurious space station and ruined Earth.


1. World War Z (June 21st)
I loved Max Brooks' book and this film has been on my radar ever since. I'm really curious to see how the book is adapted for the big screen. I've seen it listed as 'unfilmable' alongside Life of Pi and Cloud Atlas. Hopefully the script issues have been sorted out for the better. The recent trailer had some fantastic zombie scenes so here's hoping the film lives up to my expectations.


3 comments:

  1. Only God Forgives is most definitely on my watchlist. I really love your list, except for Superman. I just never liked him as a superhero. He's so bland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be a fan of action and sci-fi movies :) great list, there are some films there I don't know a lot about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guilty as charged! Boys will be boys! I'm definitely keen to try and watch a more diverse set of films going forwards, even if they are not my most anticipated!

      Delete