Saturday 17 August 2013

FILM: For A Good Time, Call... (7/10)

Why did I watch it?
It's amazing how many films can pass you by on release. Admittedly this might not be the type of film I would look out for but I had never even seen or heard any mentions of this before my other half suggested we watch it.

What's it all about?
Dumped for being boring, Lauren (Lauren Miller) reluctantly agrees to move in with friend of a friend wild chick Katie (Ari Graynor) for the summer. The pair have a fractious history but their relationship improves when Lauren discovers that Katie is making money on the side from a phone sex service and decided she wants in.

Should you watch it?
I wasn't expecting much from this film, I wasn't even going to watch it but For A Good Time, Call... actually turned out to be a pretty decent comedy that put a smile on my face time and time again. Much of that is down to the subject matter, smutty raunchy sex humour will always be funny to my juvenile side. Credit needs to also be given to the leading pair, Lauren Miller and Ari Graynor. Miller (Seth Rogen's wife) co-wrote the film and Graynor is brilliantly cast as the Katie, the imposing, raunchy alpha-female masking vulnerability. I don't think the film would be as funny without her. Considering the female writing team and cast the film certainly rivals, but not quite beats, stand-out female comedy Bridesmaids.

Justin Long plays an over the top gay friend and cameo's from Rogen and Kevin Smith are among the film's highlights. 

Short, funny and with predictable heart in the final third, For A Good Time, Call... is worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment